Wednesday, November 7, 2012

After reading this post  today it made me think about the impact social media is having on our kids......
 
 I have always thought myself a little old fashioned and not "up with the times" when it comes to social media.....

Lately I have been  more sure of the decisions I have made to refrain from getting consumed by it all......

As time goes by and our children are reaching ages that they are very aware of social media and what is available I have had to really think through why I do what I do or don't do ....

I love to blog......but that's the only pace you will find me....

no facebook , no twitter, no instagram just here....

I AM so ok with that....am I missing out on something...I am sure I am.......does it matter  or are they necessarily things that will enhance my life?????

I am not saying there aren't good things about social media ...there is...I am just conscious about how much I am involved , which ultimately will determine when and how much my kids will be caught up.....

I need to model to them how to keep a balance....
I actually want them just to be a little naive for a little longer....
Be kids that have real life friends and real life exposure to their world and not so much through a compute

It is a scary place out there with too much, too easily available....all of it  we are told that we must be apart of.......

I hope to raise kids that make good choices and learn to guard themselves from that which is a growing and untameable beast..... 

 


6 comments:

  1. You and I are on the same page Bron. I refuse to let Miss 13 have facebook and I've told her than when she is an adult then it will be her decision but until then it's just not necessary. She doesn't have a phone, just an ipod shuffle that's it and I think that's enough, really children just need to be children. As for me I just blog and I think that's more than enough, do I feel I'm missing out by not being on instagram, a little but I'm sure I'll survive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written! I'm with you too! My phone is so basic I can't do much with it. Anything else & it would cost more than my prepaid. I don't want more phone bills just for net access. So I'll survive without instagram too... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Bron, Ive been struggling with technology / kids for the past year. My 5yo didnt use the computer much prior to school (even to do reading eggs) she has music on CD and the question of an iPod touch has come into play as many of our friends have them PLUS the teachers are now pushing learning apps on us, soI feel behind the times ut keep coming back to she is only 5!!!
    at this stage Im happy for her to use my phone / iPad monitored and she now uses the computer while Im with her but I do worry that she will be outcasted in future years by not having the "cool" stuff?
    Mind you at the end of the day - her imagination is second to one, she loses herself in make believe games all day long - so another few years wont hurt her :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think your missing out on anything. I'm on facebook, barely login, I'm on twitter (because I love to watch Q&A and tweet too... - dag!!!) and I'm on instagram because I'm addicted to photos and on ravellry because I'm additced to yarn... BUT I am careful to monitor my time on these things... life is for living and these tools are only good as long as they are serving me and not the other way around.
    I oscillate between two viewpoints - the first that I should shelter my children from it for as long as I can and the second that when they want to be involved in the online world I should hold their hand and go with them... teaching them boundaries along the way. I just don't know. Thankfully for the time being it isn't a real concern. They're happy colouring in... BUT I am so thankful for the reminder about using my phone/computer ect too much in front of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Bron and I second all your thoughts and wish more parents had the same viewpoint, instead of giving in for some peace and quiet........
    Life has changed drastically from when I was a child not all good and not all bad either. Kids have so much pushed on them these days via the media and friends it's hard to just be a kid........
    You're not missing out by not having FB or any of the other stuff. I am on FB to keep in touch with family O/S and it's a great tool for artists and musicians etc. but like anything it's a good servant but a bad master......
    Getting of the soapbox now!!

    CLaire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you protect your children! We are their only defense as their little souls grow into adulthood. If we don't teach them society will and that is not always a good thing. You are a good mother and conscious teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi....I love having your support. I will do my best to pop back to you and say hi. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...